Recent News

Campus Deals with Two Biased-based Incidents

Foster Hall Clark college (Luc Hoekstra / The Independent)

Two biased-based incidents shook the Clark campus last Monday, prompting the Bias-Based Incident Response Team to send an email Thursday identifying the events.

The email identified the first incident as graffiti, that has since been removed, containing racial slurs and symbols in the Foster Hall men’s bathroom.

The second incident included a Jewish student’s experience of an inappropriate comment about their religion, the email said.

“The college expressly prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, perceived or actual physical or mental disability, pregnancy, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, creed, religion, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or use of a trained guide dog or service animal. Harassment is a form of discrimination,” according to Clark’s Non-Discrimination and Harassment Policy,

The response team appreciated the rapid reporting of the incidents, so they could promptly address the matter.

Anyone who observes similar events are advised to quickly call the Director of Security at 360-992-2133 or the Office of Diversity and Equity at 360-992-2053 and tell them you are reporting a bias-related incident.

About Luc Hoekstra (11 Articles)
Luc is a 22-year-old student journalist living in Vancouver, Washington. He attends Clark College and is a reporter for the Independent, Clark’s student-run news publication. With a focus on English, he will obtain his Associate’s of Arts degree in the summer of 2018. After that, he will pursue a medical radiography program at PCC. Luc likes reading Mark Twain and classic Greek mythology. He was a Clark College cheerleader for a year and enjoys coffee and mint tea.

Comments:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: