Local Professor Encourages Students to Pursue Art

Art students filled nine tables in PUB 161 on Jan. 24 to hear a professor from Pacific Northwest College of A speak about his experience as a Mexican immigrant artist and explain the processes behind his work.

Born in Mexico, Victor Maldonado earned a Bachelors of Fine Arts from California College of Art and a Masters in Painting and Drawing from the Art Institute of Chicago before moving to Portland. “It’s tough making a living. It’s tough being human,” he said.

Maldonado contrasted his early paintings to his current paintings and photography, explaining how his style evolved through personal growth when he met challenges like poverty and marginalization. “Being an artist lets me be responsible in my own choices,” he said.

“Art lets us do what the social norms, ethics and laws of our time don’t let us do,” Maldonado said.

Froelick Gallery in Portland is exhibiting Maldonado’s art this September.

The next Clark Art Talk is Feb. 2 at 7 p.m. in PUB 161.

About Luc Hoekstra (34 Articles)
Luc is a 22-year-old student journalist living in Vancouver, Washington. He attends Clark College and is a reporter for the Independent, Clark’s student-run news publication. With a focus on English, he will obtain his Associate’s of Arts degree in the summer of 2018. After that, he will pursue a medical radiography program at PCC. Luc likes reading Mark Twain and classic Greek mythology. He was a Clark College cheerleader for a year and enjoys coffee and mint tea.