Clark VP of Instruction Named Clackamas Community College President

Newly-appointed president of Clackamas Community College Tim Cook, left, signs his name alongside Board of Education member Jane Reid at Clackamas on March 14. (Andy Bao/The Independent)

Clark Vice President of Instruction Tim Cook accepts his new position as President of Clackamas Community College during the Board of Education meeting at Clackamas on Wednesday, March 14, 2018.
(Andy Bao/The Independent)

By Luc Hoekstra – Campus Editor

Clark Vice President of Instruction Tim Cook was named president of Clackamas Community College on March 14 at the Clackamas Community College Board of Education meeting in Oregon City.

After announcing Cook’s win, the board presented him a basket of college garb for his new school.

“I’m going to need to find a Clackamas Community College bowtie,” Cook said.

He expressed gratitude to the Board and commended them on what he said was “an incredibly thorough process” of selecting a president.

He credited his wife, kindergarten teacher Patty Cook, who he pointed out among the thirty community members in attendance. “Education is hugely important to our family,” he said.

Tim Cook said he has a daughter attending Pacific Lutheran University and two sons in high school.

“I’m excited to get started and work as a team,” he said to the Board.

After rounds of applause, cupcakes and fresh coffee were served.

Clark College President Bob Knight and Vice President of Student Affairs Bill Belden attended in support of Cook.

Knight said he is very proud of Cook and knows he’s ready for the job.

The change will be bittersweet, Cook said, and he will miss the people at Clark who have become like family.

Cook will transition to his new position over the summer and begin the job in full at the start of Clackamas’ Fall 2018 term.

Editor’s note: An earlier version of this story incorrectly claimed all of Tim Cook’s children were in high school, it has been updated to correct that error.

About Luc Hoekstra (27 Articles)
Luc is a 22-year-old student journalist living in Vancouver, Washington. He attends Clark College and is a reporter for the Independent, Clark’s student-run news publication. With a focus on English, he will obtain his Associate’s of Arts degree in the summer of 2018. After that, he will pursue a medical radiography program at PCC. Luc likes reading Mark Twain and classic Greek mythology. He was a Clark College cheerleader for a year and enjoys coffee and mint tea.